50 Signs You're Addicted to Social Media & Twitter
It's Saturday morning. You wake up out of the fog. You manage to open one eye and reach for the iPhone. You push the little round button so you can say good morning to your friends. Since the rest of the family is still asleep you think “hmmm… I'll just go into my office and send a few tweets, see what's circlin' on Google+ and upload the photos from the seminarthis week to Facebook.”
Well, that was at 7:00 am. It's now 11:00 and you are still in your jammies with messy hair. Your significant other has made breakfast. The kids are watching cartoons & fighting and the house is a mess. The big plans of mowing the lawn, cleaning the garage and hittin' the gym all before noon are history. You would much prefer to stay in the safety and quiet of your little tweet heaven just for one more hour.
You have experienced this situation before. You have friends who do the same thing. You have wondered if you might have a slight addiction problem to the twitter bird and all his friends. Below are a few (50 of them) signs that you might want to seek professional help.
Disclaimer: I am a marketing nut and by no means should you take the advice written in this post to determine if you need professional help. Only you can figure out if you have the will power to put your tweet weapon of choice away this weekend!
30. You have been or know someone who has been in twitter jail.
31. You know the secret ninja api's & tools to avoid Twitter jail.
32. You already have the words in your head for almost every 80's tune that would be perfect for a viral video
33. You are glad not all of your neighbors and family are on Twitter or Google+
34. You can write an entire blog post on your iPhone while on the elliptical at the gym.
35. Your family has given up trying to understand what you do for work.
36. At least 80% of your family has de-friended you on Facebook.
37. You want to pull a big chunk of hair out of your head when you see people begging for Facebook likes.
38. You could place bets (and win) on the local small businesses in your area who will be out of business within 2 yrs who still think Internet is a fad.
39. You have fired a client (or 2) for refusing to acknowledge social media is about the people.
40. You wish you could quit your day job.
41. You may not have a day job if you don't get this social media addiction thing figured out.
42. You are thinking how you could implement #1 on this list to save time & keep your day job.
43. You can already think of at least 5 people to share this list with who are worse than you.
44. You are now questioning if you are more addicted or if your friends are.
45. You are now thankful you thought of at least one friend who is more addicted than you.
46. You are wondering if you are the only one of your friends who is seriously thinking about doing #1 on this list.
47. You read this entire post on a smart phone.
48. You will retweet this post via a smart phone.
49. You just now realized what an addiction you have. You wasted 2 min reading something that confirmed what you already know.
50. You are mad about #49 and know you better get back to work (your day job).
51. You read all the way to the bottom of this list. Need I say more?
Bonus: you are wondering why there are 51 signs and not 50. Don't recount them. Get a life!
p.s. I have not yet built a tweet station as referenced in #1.
What You Say?
How many of these are true for you? If at least 5 of them, might be time to put the mobile phone down for at least a couple hours. There is more to life than tweeting, Google+, Facebook & LinkedIn, right?? ;)