42 Things to do on Twitter besides Tweet Spam & Coupons

what to tweetOne of the number one social media questions I hear from business leaders is “what should I tweet?”

It's funny because most business owners start a business because they have a passion for something or at minimum have an interest in it enough they believe they can make some money providing such a service or product.  However, when it comes to sending a 140 character tweet they struggle with it.

Many are use to the days of  the long corporate brochures  and matching websites where they can hire a writer to craft every word to perfection. However, times have changed. Conversations are now real time. They are immediate and happening 24/7.  Such a scenario puts many business owners and leaders in the spotlight without them really knowing what to do.

If you are one struggling with “what to tweet” I encourage you to go back to the reasons you started your business. Focus on your audience, clients, partners and community. Get in their head and do your best to understand what it is they need. What do they want to talk about? How can you personally help them? How can your business help them meet their goals and objectives?

Below is a list of 42 things you can do on Twitter besides tweet coupons or promote your business all day long.

42 Things to do on Twitter Besides Tweet Coupons & Spam!

1. Share relevant content that will provide value to your followers.

2. Join or host a tweet chat.

3. Social listening. Listen and watch others in your community, industry leaders, competition, partners, and clients.

4. Use hashtags to start a new community around a specific topic, event, business or cause.

5. Share inspirational content such as quotes or scripture. Did you know quotes are the #1 retweeted content on Twitter?

what to tweet on twitter6. Share a song.

7. Have a conversation and talk to people. Yes, I know it sounds crazy but you can simply just talk like you do in real life! 😉

8. Welcome new businesses online who you know have just joined Twitter.

9. Share local events from your local news channels.

10. Share good deals from some of your favorite businesses.

11. Support your clients. Check out their tweet streams frequently for information you can help them share.

12. Thank someone via twitter for commenting on your blog.

13. Ask a question that starts dialog.

14. Support causes and charities.

15. Obtain support for your favorite cause or charity.

16. Share other people's content such as blog posts and tweets.

17. Start a movement.

18. Share tips that can help your target market.

19. Develop an editorial calendar of tips and conversation points. It will help you particularly on the days when you have a writing or brain block.

20. Make new friends.

21. Share a photo. You can incorporate sites such as TwitPic, Instagram, Flickr and Pinterest.

22. Ask a question

23. Create a poll and gather input from your twitter followers.

24. Share an upcoming event.

25. Share content and key nuggets of information and quotes live from an event.

26. Find old friends.

27. Share a funny or touching video

28. Share an idea and gather feedback.

29. Share a new design or logo and ask for input.

30. Ask for feedback when launching or testing new website, blog or even Facebook timeline.

31. Show appreciation and advocacy for those in your community.

32. Wish someone Happy Birthday or any other holiday that is appropriate.

33. Share kids event photo and funny happenings.

34. Share a daily wisdom tweet.

35. Create themed days for morning or evening content. If you can inspire your followers, they may return daily to see what you have to say. For example, Monday could be Marketing Monday, Twitter Tuesday, Wacky Wednesday, Facebook Friday etc.

36. Gather opinions and wish lists for blog posts you can write that will help your followers and readers.

37. Create a Twitter list to keep track of industry experts, clients or simply your favorite tweeters.

38. Check out the Twitter lists of your community, clients, partners and even competitors to find good Tweeters to follow.

39. Cheer someone up.

40.  Tweet when you check into your favorite restaurant using Foursquare.

41. Talk about people who spam coupons (joking.)

42. Tweet this post!

What do You Tweet About?

So tell me, what do you tweet about? Do you struggle with what to tweet or do you have a rapid tongue that never runs out of things to say? Was there ever a time you struggled with how to get a Twitter conversation started? What tips can you share to help others who may be new to Twitter or still feeling tweet challenged?

Related Articles:

21 Tips to Get Your Tweet On!

How I tweet in a Nutshell – 55 Twitter Behaviors of a Twitter Nut

CEO's Repeat After Me: We are NOT Afraid to Tweet!

10 Tips to Get the Twitter Conversation Started

Zoom Your Tweets in 7 Easy Steps

17 Tips to Get More Twitter Followers & Tweeter Friends

All You Can Tweet Buffet: 7 Tips Plus Content Meal Planner

2017-02-08T00:35:04+00:00

About the Author:

CEO / Founder Marketing Nutz, full service social media, digital marketing, experiential brand, conversion optimization agency. Ranked by Forbes as Top 10 Social Media Women and 10 Social Media Power Influencer. Keynote speaker, author, strategist, consultant, coach, & trainer. Helps businesses of all sizes integrate social media into the DNA of their business, connect with target audiences to nurture authentic customer relationships. 15+ years experience working with Fortune 500, Franchised corporations with 4000+ local franchises to entrepreneurs and startups.

87 Comments

1. PamMktgNut March 17, 2012 at 4:40 pm

@robertlburns Thanks Rob!!

2. MelanieKissell March 17, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Awesome, all-inclusive list, Pam — Tweeted! 🙂

I think what many online marketers struggle with is finding the right balance between Tweeting helpful tips/promos/personal stuff.  As you know, spam abounds on all the social media platforms and Twitter is no exception.

Thanks for providing your readers with lots and lots of ideas to Tweet about!

• PamMktgNut March 18, 2012 at 10:51 pm

@MelanieKissell Thanks for the kind words Melanie. I think the key is to just know in your heart if you are tweeting spam or not. If it feels like too much spam it probably is. Focus on the value and content your audience wants. You’ll know it when they like it… they aren’t shy about telling you!

• MelanieKissell March 19, 2012 at 3:30 am

@PamMktgNut Follow your Tweeting heart — love it!  I totally agree.  I believe people sincerely know when they’re overstepping spam boundaries.  Your advice is solid.  Just trust your instincts and your gut and you’ll stay off the offender’s list. 🙂

3. PamMktgNut March 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm

@JimmyPicanza thanks Jimmy!! Happy green day to you!!! How are you? Any fun plans this wknd?

• Latoyiac268 March 17, 2012 at 8:43 pm

@PamMktgNut Get 4 Free tickets to 6 Flags: Call up your friends and enjoy now: @Free_Six_Flags

• JimmyPicanza March 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm

@PamMktgNut Missed this tweet. Always some fun between work and chores on weekend. Hey, you and Josh want to schedule lunch together?

• PamMktgNut March 26, 2012 at 4:14 pm

@JimmyPicanza Yes, that would be awesome! Next week would be great. Let us know what works for you too! No kids either, right!!?? 😉

• JimmyPicanza March 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm

@PamMktgNut Absolutely no kids. Tuesday, Thursday or Friday works here. Thought we could just do Country Corner Market.

• JimmyPicanza March 29, 2012 at 7:28 pm

@PamMktgNut Absolutely no kids. Tues, Thurs or Friday. Thought we would just do Corner Market on litharge/.pincrest.

• PamMktgNut March 29, 2012 at 9:18 pm

@JimmyPicanza awesome! Let’s do it. Gym clothes or Jammies required, not optional!! 😉

• JimmyPicanza March 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm

@PamMktgNut email me at Jimmy@pivotal-services.com and tell me a good time for lunch this week. 🙂

4. PamMktgNut March 17, 2012 at 8:40 pm

@osakasaul thanks buddy!! 🙂

5. AFMarCom March 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Pam — I read this after seeing it on… Twitter! I love the point you make at the beginning about brainstorming your business passions. I’m going to quote you in an upcoming newsletter!

6. AFMarCom March 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm

7. PamMktgNut March 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm

@iggypintado @planetshark @prosperitygal @hensel @arkarthick @ezyblogger @amitV_tweets @wordsdonewrite Thx much 4 RT luvs! xoxo

8. RayTrigg March 18, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Hi.I have a great time reading it. I really like number 7 and 8. These are the things that make Twitter a very useful tool in business marketing. Thanks  for sharing this post..

For interested parties who want to gain quality followers, you might want to visit the link below.

9. Chris March 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Interesting next step would be a survey – of the items in the list, which ones do people still consider to be spam (i.e. waste of my attention)?

10. PamMktgNut March 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm

@kathikruse kathi!! Let’s talk this week’

• KeithKeller March 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm

#Twitter #Tips @PamMktgNut http://t.co/lOGzCsHt “42 Things To Do On Twitter Besides Tweet” via @SocialMediahs & JustinFScott:

11. Elizabeth March 18, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love the list – it is amazing how I can write a blog post or a lengthy detailed report with no issue, but Twitter does stump me. I hate to be spammed so I want my posts to be as personal as possible.  I love your #5 – I think I’m going to start providing more quotes.  I often use quotes to inspire my day to day activity…integrating them into my social media…brilliant!  Thanks for the list.

• PamMktgNut March 18, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Thanks for the comment Elizabeth.  It’s okay. Twitter stumps many people. It’s different communication than most are use to. Quotes are a great way to get to know your audience. If you try to tweet a variety of different quotes you’ll easily see what ones people are interested in.

I have met some amazing peeps from a simple quote including some rockin’ clients! I actually got one client who is a serial entrepreneur from a #FF tweet followed by a quote I sent. He said he followed me for 6 mos after the quote & #FF tweet from a colleague he trusted. Finally after 6 mos he called us. Gotta luv the power of social! Good luck and please let me know how it goes!

12. raytrigg15 March 19, 2012 at 12:53 am

Nice post. I really have fun reading all of them. However, for me, I can really relate to number 7 and 8 on your list. I am a business type of person and Twitter has really helped me promote and advertise my thing. Thank you for sharing this post. Keep it up!

Ray Trigg

13. estatetipsc0 March 19, 2012 at 5:52 am

@seotrafficlab How To Make Money Online Quick{Affiliate Marketing} @home_make_money

14. isayhs9 March 19, 2012 at 5:59 am

@seotrafficlab http://t.co/zeWMgbff

15. DrRus March 19, 2012 at 6:50 am

@mikefixs Hey there Mike! Long time no chat. Hope all is well!

• mikefixs March 19, 2012 at 9:09 am

@DrRus Hi Rus – likewise. Still would like to catch lunch sometime and catch up. 🙂

• DrRus March 19, 2012 at 9:11 am

@mikefixs That sounds like a great idea. Is there a day that works better for you than others? Maybe we could meet at same place as before.

16. YawChangBot March 19, 2012 at 7:02 am

@JessicaNorthey ランチョンミートのことですか?

17. Liz Christopher March 19, 2012 at 7:05 am

Great tips. It’s a question I get asked a lot. So many businesses fall into the trap of thinking they can only tweet special offers.

18. mmangen March 19, 2012 at 9:27 am

@trevord209 hola! How have you been?

• trevord209 March 19, 2012 at 9:31 am

@mmangen pretty darn good. Im finally working for myself writing mostly. How is my favoritest va?

• mmangen March 19, 2012 at 10:40 am

@trevord209 oh congrats!!!!! How is that going?

• trevord209 March 19, 2012 at 10:55 am

@mmangen mostly scary. Im getting some good potential writing gigs.

• mmangen March 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

@trevord209 it can be totally scary but the potential outweighs for you hopefully

• trevord209 March 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

@mmangen so far so good. I am getting in a good work rhythm…

• trevord209 March 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

@mmangen I am collecting leads to offer wordpress help. There a lot of rural local businesses here who have no websites at all.

• mmangen March 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm

@trevord209 you should connect to @tommytrc and @tvorse if you aren’t already – they aren’t MKE but WI local

• tommytrc March 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

@mmangen @trevord209 @tvorse Pleased to meet you!

19. Pam Moore @PamMktgNut March 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

AFMarCom – yes, brainstorming & planning content up front can really help jet set early stage efforts! Thx for the quote 🙂

Liz Christopher yes, I see it too. I think it’s because that’s what they are use to doing and also they think they can fit much more than that in the 140 characters which is false.

20. Pam Moore @PamMktgNut March 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

oops meant to say they think they “CAN’t” fit much more, not CAN. Sorry! 🙁

21. Liz Christopher March 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

It’s also a big conceptual jump from traditional marketing. A lot of businesses still need persuading that customers want more than offer codes. Getting across that social media is less about selling and more about relationship and brand loyalty building.

22. TweetLoriJ March 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hi all!  I love the #35 tip.  This is something I should do more because knowing what I’m going to say in advance takes the pressure off. Making a publishing calendar for my blog has helped me tremendously.  I love to share relevant content as well.  I tried quotes one month and I did get retweeted.  The hardest part of it all though for me is still finding time and energy for my own projects.

23. SocialMediaSean March 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm

@rachelstpierr Hi Rachel, thx for the Retweet. How’s your Monday going so far?

24. mmangen March 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm

@SmallBizLady thanks

25. SheetalHealing March 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm

@SmallBizLady FirstTime Open forum Innovators to Fabricate their Prototype/Model from concept=sheetal.panchal@gmail.com*call 091 9924110119

26. GulshanPawar March 21, 2012 at 8:12 am

• PamMktgNut April 23, 2012 at 11:59 pm

@GulshanPawar I agree with you 100% on time being the hardest part. There are days (sometimes weeks) I feel like my brain just can’t shut off. I think it’s due to the never ending, 24/7 conversations happening in our honor that we will never be able to turn off. However, we can turn it off, hide the phone, take a vacation and learn it will all be there when we get back. If not, they can always tweet us, pin us, comment, again… 😉

27. raytrigg15 March 23, 2012 at 1:49 am

Ray Trigg

28. 3HatsComm March 24, 2012 at 12:58 pm

So much we can do on Twitter; I mostly share info I think others would like, stuff I find helpful and interesting, which yes means tweeting my own posts on occasion. I participate in chats (though not enough) and plenty more of the things on this lists. That said.. people that tweet nothing but FS check-ins or nothing but pre-programmed quote-bots.. they find my unfollow button but quick; moderation and balance, like anything else. FWIW.

• PamMktgNut April 23, 2012 at 11:57 pm

@3HatsComm Sounds like a great strategy. Yup, good thing that unfollow button is so easy to find and click 😉

29. baerbelsmile April 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm

@PamMktgNut thanks for the 42 great Tips

• PamMktgNut April 2, 2012 at 2:14 am

@baerbelsmile Pleasure!! 🙂

30. tammy_boudreau April 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm

@PamMktgNut Thanks for “42 Things to do on #Twitter besides Tweet Spam & Coupons”. Very useful 🙂

31. meetmikemorgan April 3, 2012 at 12:32 am

@twitagency Thanks for the RT! Cheers!

• twitagency April 5, 2012 at 1:03 pm

@meetmikemorgan my pleasure!

32. HAYLOENT April 11, 2012 at 5:11 am

@chievasss
    Dumbway Clique – Goin In -> http://t.co/jG1kWJMd
    Please check it out and give us some feedback.
    Thanks for the support!!

33. ratisbon April 17, 2012 at 8:27 am

@PamMktgNut wow! Strong advice.

• PamMktgNut April 17, 2012 at 8:50 am

@ratisbon glad you liked it!

34. MZazeela April 17, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thanks for the inspiration, Pam! I think what many folks seem to overlook is that Twitter can be nothing more complicated than a conversation; sharing ideas and thoughts as if you were standing face to face.

Cheers,Marc

• PamMktgNut April 23, 2012 at 11:56 pm

@MZazeela My pleasure! I agree, we seem to complicate the parts of social media that are really the most simple! 😉

35. MelissaOnline April 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

42 Things to do on Twitter besides Tweet Spam & Coupons http://t.co/XHP7ZIGh via @PamMktgNut #sm #twitter

• lindamorriss1 April 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm

@MelissaOnline @PamMktgNut . Thanx for the heads up on this site! It is wonderful! Linda

36. playntradeGR April 17, 2012 at 6:30 pm

@peter196 @t0pinabean That’s some good stuff — Thanks!

37. PamMktgNut April 17, 2012 at 6:42 pm

@TwitterSmallBiz thank you!

• TwitterSmallBiz April 17, 2012 at 7:15 pm

@PamMktgNut 🙂

38. gupshupblog April 17, 2012 at 10:50 pm

@dudeman718 hello bro 🙂

39. DeedeeCrossett April 17, 2012 at 11:43 pm

@TwitterSmallBiz @pammktgnut thanks!!

40. Lonniewbdoedy April 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm

@Ahmed_AlHussain have

41. LiivLee April 24, 2012 at 12:02 am

you missed ‘photoshop ur avatar!’ 😉 just kidding gr8 list RT @PamMktgNut @PamMktgNut: 42 Things to do on Twitter http://t.co/jEfl5cnr

• PamMktgNut April 24, 2012 at 12:02 am

@LiivLee ha! good one 😉

• LiivLee April 24, 2012 at 12:08 am

@PamMktgNut not that I did… 😉

42. mlaffs May 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

@LippeTaylor @pammktgnut seems like that’s a small threshold

43. jlf1957 May 8, 2012 at 9:20 pm

@PamMktgNut hello hope you are well & I am ok in my self but little tired at times. Enjoy wonderful days & enjoy peaceful time @jlf1957

44. PamMktgNut June 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm

@RonSupportsYou thanks Ron!

45. PamMktgNut June 10, 2012 at 8:15 pm

@purplewoman thanks Lisa!

46. SherryStrothers July 12, 2012 at 1:35 am

@RachelintheOC @pammktgnut Wow, this seems to be an interesting read. Thanks Rachel!

47. toddtrann July 12, 2012 at 1:38 am

@RachelintheOC @pammktgnut coupons?!?! who in hell does that?

• RachelintheOC July 12, 2012 at 1:44 am

@toddtrann @pammktgnut lots of mommybloggers — clearly not the demographic for you 🙂

• toddtrann July 12, 2012 at 1:49 am

@RachelintheOC @pammktgnut sigh. Tried to keep my wife off GroupOn. I can’t stand it.

• RachelintheOC July 12, 2012 at 1:54 am

@toddtrann I’m not on it. who has time? well, your wife I guess, right? xo

• toddtrann July 12, 2012 at 1:56 am

@RachelintheOC nah, I let her get burnt by a couple of “deals” and then I said “told you so”. That killed it for her!! 😀

48. […] 10. 42 Things to Do on Twitter Besides Tweet Spam & Coupons […]

49. ruzzel01 September 2, 2013 at 1:34 pm

We just read the other day that spammers are earning $200 million a year by spaming Twitter and Facebook with Google Adsense ads. At least if you are going to tweet a discount send out a legitimate promo code that only earns the end user a decent savings. bluepromocode.com